Saturday, July 08, 2006

Advanced blogging techniques – WordPress

With most of the in’s and out’s of Blogger figured out, felt the need to explore some more. The next free blogging setup saw me at WordPress.

First stop, WordPress.org. This is the site that has the blogging platform (aka software). You go to this place if you want to use the WordPress platform on an independent / alternate web hosting site. The whole setup seemed too complicated to me, and after around ½ hour of tinkering, I still couldn’t figure out what to do (I‘m no programmer, remember?).

When I had just about given up, I spotted WordPress.com. This site ran the WordPress platform so you don’t have to go through all that pain. Since it was free, I signed up. Easy enough, WordPress even had my first post (Hello World!) ready for me on my new address. From there, the difference became very apparent.

While blogger, just lets you choose the template, WordPress actually allows you to decide what appears where on your blog. Get ready for some technical (blog) jargon!

All said and done, WordPress has a lot of options you can play around with to make your blog unique, but just too many options for me. Distracts from the whole writing part (which blogging is about) and makes you want to keep improving the designing. So it’s back to Blogger to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home